App open ad guidance
App open ads help to monetize your mobile app loading experience. App open ads are served when a user opens or switches back to your app.
Below are some guidelines and best practices for implementing app open ads. These guidelines help you implement app open ads while staying compliant with existing policies.
Review the AdMob policies and restrictions for more information.
Specific format may vary by region
Your app open ads must comply with AdMob's ad placement policies. In addition, review the following before placing app open ad units:
- App open ad units should only appear when the user opens an app or switches back to an app.
- Place app open ads on an app's splash or loading screen. Review the example app open implementations for how to best implement app open ads on these screens.
- Note that you may have to adjust your app open ads based on your loading experiences. For example, if you have two types of loading experiences (first open experience vs. switching back to the opened app), you may have to implement app open ads differently for each experience.
- If you don't have a splash screen as part of your app open or switch experience, you may show an app open ad immediately upon app open or switch.
- Don't implement ads immediately before or after app open ads.
- Don't implement app open ads on top of other ads. For example, the app open ad should not be placed on top of content that includes a banner ad.
- Review your app's performance and adjust the app open ad frequency capping accordingly. Learn more about frequency capping.
- App open ads perform best with apps that have a high frequency of opens per daily user. Apps that are opened more than once every 4 hours see the highest performance from app open ads. If you have an app that does not meet this criteria, consider using another AdMob ad format.
Example app open implementations
Use the following examples to implement your app open ads.