Requirements for Chromecast devices
Mobile devices operating system (OS) requirements
You can use the Google Home app on compatible mobile devices to set up Chromecast with Google TV, Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in.
The Google Home app is compatible with the following mobile devices:
- An Android phone running Android 6.0 or later
- An Android tablet running Android 6.0 or later
- An iPhone or iPad with iOS 14.0 or later
Hardware and broadband requirements
All Chromecast devices require a TV with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 1.3 or higher built-in. HDCP 2.2 is required to support 4K content. Most televisions that are five years old or newer and have HDMI ports will have at least one port that supports HDCP 2.2.
In order to view 4K or Ultra High-definition (UHD) content, in addition to the requirements listed above, your equipment must meet the following requirements:
- For 4K content, you need a 4K-capable TV and a high-speed internet connection (at least 20 Mbps).
- For High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, you need an HDR-capable TV.
- Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas. Subscription(s) may be required, and additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply.
- The length of your content, your internet service provider's network availability over time and other factors can impact your Internet speed, and therefore Chromecast device's ability to show content in the best possible resolution. Learn more about streaming 4K Ultra HD content.
To learn about technical specifications for Chromecast devices, check the Chromecast specifications article.
Terms of Service and Privacy