Free up space on your device
You can use Google Photos to save space on your phone when you remove photos from your device that are safely backed up.
Before you get started
Download and install the Google Photos app.
Photos and videos that are fewer than 30 days old may be retained on your device. They'll still be backed up in your Google Photos library.
Free up space on your Android device
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app .
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap your account profile photo or initial Free up space.
- You'll see how much space will be freed up. To delete all the items from your phone, tap Free up.
- To see your photos and videos, go to photos.google.com or open the Google Photos app .
For backed-up photos and videos, use Photos' storage management tool to surface items that you might want to delete, like blurry photos, screenshots, and large videos. Learn how to manage your storage.
What happens when you remove photos and videos from your phone
If you remove copies of photos and videos on your phone, you'll still be able to:
- See your photos and videos, including the ones you just removed, in the Google Photos app and photos.google.com.
- Edit, share, delete, and manage anything in your Google Photos library.
You won't be able to see photos and videos you removed if:
- You use your mobile device's built-in gallery.
- You're offline.
- You're not signed in to the Google Photos app .